Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Open Letter of Fr. Michael Beers to All the Readers of "Saginaw Seminarians"

Fr. Michael Beers has asked me to publish this as an open letter:
I regret the confusion caused by the article in the Naples Daily News. I was called yesterday (the Solemnity of the Annunciation) at about 12:10. The journalist was very eager to tie in my assignment with the recent commotion over Fr. Fessio. This really overshadowed everything we discussed. I had received permission from my bishop to announce my new assignment on Monday because registration for the Fall begins today. I had hoped that they would be able to announce the name of the new dean of the pre-theologate at the same time. Naturally he asked for a clarification of the phrase "house of priestly formation", I gave what he found to be an awkward explanation, he asked: "Is it something like a seminary?" I answered: "Something like a seminary without being a seminary." I guess he found this too Thomistic and abbreviated it as you read in his article. Please refer your readers to the very positive article that appeared in today's Naples Daily News, with the headline: "A Time for Healing". I preached today on the need for reconciliation within the university community, please keep Ave Maria in your prayers. It's a time for great healing. Thank you, Fr. Michael Beers

The article he is referring to can be found here.

No comments: